Friday, December 4, 2009

I guess anyone can comment on YouTube, just not everyone should.

Not that many people see my videos, and most of the people who do don't have YouTube accounts...(I always harass my poor friends and family on facebook by embedding them), so this has its upsides. The comments I get are generally considerate, either kind, or perhaps containing a touch of constructive criticism. So I was surprised to receive this comment:

I also wasn't quite sure if it was referring to me. Honestly, I've made more terrible videos before. Did you see that Bozeman vlog? The story is interesting, the video isn't. I felt pretty good about this one, it came out like I wanted it to. Wouldn't this comment be better suited on a different video of mine, or perhaps on my wall? I felt I should do something, so I played it this way:

Um, right. I'm a substitute teacher. I get crap thrown at me, and generally picked on, insulted and tortured by mean-spirited children...to my face...on a daily basis. This ill-conceived comment deserves little more than a scoff.

But then, just to see if this person made videos that this person felt SHOULD be made, or to see if this person was a troll by nature, I checked out (his or her?) channel page.



It seems this person joined YouTube for the express purpose of posting such a comment on my video.

Should I be honored?

Should I be hurt?

It honestly makes me wonder if LurkeyMerk is one of my facebook friends who hates me but refuses to block me. I've met 99% of my facebook friends in real life (it is sort of a requirement of mine, one I'm willing to bend if I happen to watch videos of you). The chances are pretty high. Otherwise, I suppose it is a sign of a slightly extended reach, and that's to be celebrated.

2 comments:

  1. You really have nothing better to do with your time? -Lurkeymerk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought you should know that you really shouldn't flatter yourself thinking that I'm "stalking" you on facebook or youtube. I'm simply just telling you what your "friends" don't have the courage to say to you. I and others, find your videos pointless. Also, when I watch your videos, I can't help but to feel frustrated. I think it's because I have talked to you many many times, and they way you talk in your videos isn't the way you talk in a normal conversation. It's like you're trying too hard or something. Bottom line, I know you don't know who I really am, because I don't want it to ruin are friendship (because we are really good friends), but I and a lot of others (again, not just saying this) HATE your videos. We hate them, even though some of tell you that we like them. In that moment that we say we like them, we are just trying to be a good friend: supportive. Well I think enough is enough and you have a right to know what your friends really think

    ReplyDelete